statcounter

Sunday, September 17, 2017

#22 - Best Gift

I received the best gift of my life on September 15, 2013. On that day my sister brought my nephew, Keaton, into the world. It wasn't an easy delivery - he made her push for three grueling hours - but at the end of that day I held a miracle and cried my first aunt tears. On that night they were soft rolling tears of gratitude and love. I was lucky to spend an entire week with them as they acclimated into their new life, and when I left seven days after his birth I ugly cry sobbed most of the way home and convinced myself I had to move to Austin because three hours was just too far.  Keaton is my little buddy, my sunshine, and a tangible reason to fight to make the world better. 

So what's this got to do with kindness?  I send Amy flowers on Keaton's birthday, because I'm forever  grateful she made me an aunt that day. I send Amy flowers because on that day she showed bravery, strength, and love in ways that make me so proud of her. When you're this proud of and thankful for another person, you should let them know. You should tell them in whatever way you can, because sharing those feelings is an act of kindness. 

Amy and Matthew, thank you for sweet K. He's the most awesome kid in the world, and he makes me a better person. 

1 comment:

  1. This is super sweet! I am also an aunt to some amazing nieces and remember each of their births. Being an aunt is super fun!

    ReplyDelete