statcounter

Saturday, November 25, 2017

#28 and #29 - Through the Woods to Grandmother's House I Go

My 28th and 29th acts of kindness took place over the Thanksgiving holiday.  My grandmother, Wanda, lives in Roswell, NM.  Getting to Roswell by car takes about 7.5 hours of pretty boring driving (see photo below).  I generally go see her every Christmas, but it's been several years since I've seen her for Thanksgiving.  This year I made the trip to spend a couple days with her.  When we spoke about me coming she said she was just not up for cooking (she's 83 - who can blame her?!) so we'd go out to eat.  I know how much tradition means to her, so I decided to take the matter into my own hands.  My 7.5 hour trip was done with two coolers in the back seat full of Thanksgiving meal necessities from the catering department of Central Market.  We had turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, brussel sprouts, rolls, and two pies.  No pressure to cook or guilt if I cooked, because all we had to do is heat it up!  Mama was moved to tears and thanked me profusely.  Thanks aren't necessary, as I'd have done it all again to see her smile when I walked in the front door.  I was also rewarded with an incredible sunrise Friday morning when I started my drive home.  I count this as two acts because going was an act of kindness and bringing dinner was another that surprised and thrilled her.


No comments:

Post a Comment