statcounter

Thursday, August 3, 2017

#17 - Watch Out!

It's back to school time!  I vividly remember my childhood's August being a time of anxious excitement, the smell of freshly sharpened pencils, and new outfits.  One summer in my painful tween years included a glorious trip to the store where I opted for several pairs of knock-off Keds in various colors instead of a more expensive pair of practical shoes.  I remember this because I recall how excited I was to have a pair of yellow shoes.  Brand new sunshine-y shoes for my middle school entrance.  I've become more and more cognizant of the fact that many of our students come back to school without the supplies they need much less new sneakers.  We have families that simply cannot afford all of the back-to-school hoopla.

So for my 17th act of kindness for the year I decided the girls I mentor deserved a little something special.  They both got a brand new super fun white Timex watch with multi-color numbers.  "Watch" out world!  My special young ladies are ready to tackle middle school like the wonder women they are!  One of them has already told me she does not like it... she LOVES it!  As you buy your kiddos their supplies and new clothes, try to remember that it's a luxury many cannot afford.  It's great to provide for your kids in the best way you can, but it's even better to make sure your kids have perspective and realize they're fortunate.  I'm 40 and I think I might finally be really getting it.

Now let's have the most awesome school year ever! Watch out world!

No comments:

Post a Comment