statcounter

Friday, August 11, 2017

#19 - Book Blessings

This 19th act of kindness is my favorite so far.  Months ago I went to an event benefitting the school district.  They showed a video of a young lady who'd received a scholarship and talked about how much every dollar meant to her as she started college.  It made me think about some of our students who are first generation college-goers and how difficult it must be to get started on a campus with modest financial backing and blazing a trail in your family.  The AVID program does incredible work with first generation college-bound students, and Keller ISD is lucky to have an incredible AVID program, especially at Fossil Ridge High School.  Knowing that every dollar means the world to new college kids, I decided this was a great place for kindness.

I spoke with the AVID teacher at FRHS (shout out to Hillary White!) and asked if she had some college-bound students who would be starting at a university this fall and could use a little help with textbooks.  I then recruited assistance from one of the most generous men I know (Joe Griffin).  We decided we could buy the books for 4 students' first semester!  I got to notify those young people on Tuesday, and the outpouring of love and gratitude has been overwhelming and inspiring.

Sometimes I forget how hard it was to start college and be overwhelmed with the astronomical cost of everything.  I do remember going to the grocery store and being shocked that cereal cost $4.  I cried at the bookstore when I saw my biology book was over $100.  It just seems like a lot when you're 18 and new to the world.  Heck, it seems like a lot when you're 40 and have been around the block.  If a few hundred dollars can make those first few months a little easier on a first-generation college student, it's money well spent.  This is my favorite act of kindness so far because I feel like it has the potential to make the most long term impact.  My heart is full today.

No comments:

Post a Comment